Leaving your RV roof unprotected can and often does eventually lead to a repair job that could cost thousands of dollars. It's not only the roof itself that can become damaged, if water and moisture get inside, it can cause severe structural as well as electrical damage.
That's why we created this guide to help you select the best RV roof coating for your needs.
When you use a rubber roof coating you will ensure that the roof of your RV will last for plenty of years without ever having to worry about it eroding from natural or unnatural elements. It can be used on roofing seams and any sort of hole that needs to be covered to protect your investment.
Our Picks: Best Rubber Roof Coating for RV Use
Rubber Roof Coating
Scroll down to read individual reviews of each product...
Why should I use rubber roof coating?
RVs will typically stay outdoors throughout the year. An outdoor environment is not good for roofing, plastic walls, wood, and so on. When you keep your RV in an outdoor environment, your exterior will naturally start to lose its shine, especially in areas with dramatic climatic conditions such as cold winters or hot summers. This is especially true in climates with heavy amounts of precipitation. In these sorts of conditions, a rubber roof will prove to be a strong defense against nature’s forces.
How long does rubber roof coating last?
Although you might just paint your rubber roof coating on once, you will likely want to put a new coat on every 3-5 years to make sure that it maintains the same effects. Since putting on rubber coating is a relatively straight forward process you won’t be dreading the next time that you have to do it. In the end, it will only help your vehicle last longer.
Read Also: Best Caulk for RV Exterior
What types of RV roof coating are there?
RV roof coating comes in two different formulas, EPDM and TPO.
EPDM, or Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer typically requires less maintenance so a roof coated in this material will often remain protected for longer before needing further coats. EPDM is noted for its resilience to both water and UV exposure.
TPO, or Thermal Poly Olefin is contracted differently to EPDM.
Typically, TPO provides a shinier finish and provides a lot more rigidity than EPDM. It is also less prone to oxidization as it is contracted using less plastic.
How do you install rubber roof coating?
Putting rubber roof coating on your vehicle can be done within one day. To do this, first, decide which product is best for you. Then all you will need to do is use a roller and apply the coating like paint to the roof. It is best to do this process in temperate conditions that are neither hot nor cold so that it dries as evenly as it should. You can use this on any RV roof, and it will need to occasionally be redone.
1. Heng’s Rubber Roof Coating - Best RV Roof Sealant
If you are only looking for 1 gallon of roof coating and want the best price possible, this is perhaps the best rubber roof coating for RV for you to use. Since it comes at the most affordable price per gallon that you will find, and only in a 1-gallon size, it is a great option for anybody who wants to apply one or two coats of rubber roof coating and then decide if they want a different product next time around.
- UV resistant and great at protecting against natural elements
- Non-toxic and non-polluting
- Great price per gallon
- Other products may last longer than this one
This rubber roof coating is best for those who want an affordable price and a small, 1-gallon can of paint before deciding if they like it and/or want to consider other product to use in the future. Since it is a UV-resistant and non-toxic product you won’t harm the environment any more than your RV’s gas-guzzling design already does. Just keep in mind that you will get what you pay for, and you can find other products which last longer.
This product is a great option as it can be applied in just one coat. Some others, including some of the products reviewed here on this page, require two or more layers to achieve good protection.Liquid Roof is also easy to apply, and once covered comes with a manufacturers guarantee of five years.
- Protection guaranteed for 5 years
- One gallon covers a 46 square foot area
- Easy to apply
- Bubbles can be challenging to flatten out
Because of Liquid Roof’s ease of application, reliability and 5 year protection it has become somewhat of a tool of choice for many RVers. It really is a nice product which I’m sure you’ll be happy with should you give it a try.
Anybody who wants to buy a rubber roof coating in bulk will be happy with 5 gallons of this product. Unless you are trying to rubber coat an entire house, this should be enough rubber roof coating to last you for numerous years. The container can be safely sealed when it is not in use and stored away while it is waiting to be used again.
- Covers 42 sq. feet per gallon and has 5 total gallons
- No primer needed
- Great price per gallon
- 5-gallon will last a while and is a large container so will take up storage space.
This product is best for the person who wants to have one can of rubber roof coating to last them a long time. As long as you know how to use the paint both sparingly and correctly, this will last you quite a bit of time, making the investment well worth it. Covering over 42 square feet per gallon, you will able to paint 210 square feet with this can of rubber roof coating before you need to even consider using one. Best of all, this product will go straight onto your roof without the need for a primer.
If you want to invest the extra money in the best rubber roof coating for RV, make this your top option. Being able to cover 125 square feet with this small one-gallon can, this is easily the best rubber roof coating option when you consider that it can be used much more sparingly. It also lasts a great deal of time if you are careful to apply it and put two coats on.
- 1-gallon can covers 125 square feet
- Top-quality protection against natural elements
- Can cover more area per-gallon than other products on this list
- Not as affordable as the other options
- Two coats will be needed
Anyone looking for the best rubber roof coating for RV should make this their top option. With its durable, long-lasting quality you can rest safe knowing that this one will last a long time (at least 3 years) before you will need to apply more rubber roof coating.
Although there are many different options to pursue, the best rubber roof coating for RV is the Dicor RPCRC1 since it can be applied to larger areas, conserving more paint for future use. If you want to invest in a more affordable model you will still get the same benefits, but will likely need to purchase more often as the single can will not last as long.
- Designed for use over RV rubber roofs, at seams and tears and to seal vents, air conditioners, etc.
- It is UV resistant and expands and contracts with roofs
- Resists cracking and withstands impact, non-polluting and non-toxic
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY - Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant is water based, containing no Solvents or VOC's. This means it's safe to use indoors and outdoors with no special breathing apparatus like solvenated products need. You're safe, your children are safe and your pets are safe. We believe you should have a choice in purchasing high quality products that are safe for you and the environment
- EASY TO APPLY - Basically just like painting except you use heavy coats to build up your waterproof membrane. Open the container and start using. You can close the container and use later if you have left over material. No pot life or working time like 2 component products. Apply by Brush, Roller or High Quality Piston Paint Sprayer
- HIGHLY FLEXIBLE - UV Stable - Final membrane has over 1000% Elongation and the Sun will not degrade the product.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY - Liquid Rubber RV Roof Coating is water based, containing no Solvents or VOC's. This means it's safe to use indoors and outdoors with no special breathing apparatus like solvenated products need. You're safe, your children are safe and your pets are safe. We believe you should have a choice in purchasing high quality products that are safe for you and the environment
- EASY TO APPLY - Basically just like painting except you use heavy coats to build up your waterproof membrane. Open the container and start using. You can close the container and use later if you have left over material. No pot life or working time like 2 component products. Apply by Brush, Roller or Good Quality Conventional Paint Sprayer
- LIQUID - COATING - SEALANT THAT CURES INTO A WATERPROOF MEMBRANE - Use on all RV Roofs. For hard to stick surfaces like EPDM (Rubber Sheet like membrane)/TPO(Plastic like membrane), use Liquid Rubber EPDM/TPO Primer to promote adhesion. Can use on other projects around the home as well. Mobile Homes, Camper, Trailer, Metal Roofs, Flat Roofs, Gutters, Sheds, Foundations, Planter Boxes, Interior Basements, Fences, Stucco, Wood, Concrete, Metal and more...
- Flex Seal Liquid is liquid rubber in a can! Now you can brush, roll, dip or pour it on!
- Use anywhere you need a watertight, flexible rubberized coating
- Goes on smooth and covers fast, sealing out water, air and moisture
- Clings to your roof in all temperatures.
- Protects against moisture.
- Mildew and algae resistant when cured.
Last update on 2018-11-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API