This guide will help you choose the best in motion satellite dish for RVs.
If you are planning to spend long hours on the road in your RV you have to have some form of entertainment, especially if you are going to be away overnight. A television and a satellite dish are among the most popular choices for recreational vehicles. Whether you are a sports fan or someone who enjoys movies, or maybe you simply cannot see yourself missing your favorite TV-show, an in-motion satellite dish will be a great addition to your RV. This is especially true when you are on the road or recharging your batteries at a motel or campsite.
Our Picks: Best In Motion Satellite Dish for RV
Scroll down to see our individual review of each product
How Much Minimal Roof Space Do You Need?
How much space your in-motion satellite dish takes up, matters. You have to consider the RV’s clearance level because you really don’t want to play chicken with a bridge. The dish is protected by its dome, but not to a point where it could survive an impact like that.
Is a Fully Automatic Model Worth It For You?
The fully automatic satellites find the signal real time, but they usually cost more. If you are patient, there are satellites with manual controls that may work just as well for you. They are not exactly slow but naturally, cannot match the speed of their fully-automated counterparts. If you are not the type who switches channels constantly, you can probably get away with buying a semi-automated or manual dish.
The Winegard RT2000T RoadTrip T4 is a fully automated in-motion satellite with a 14.3″ diameter and 13.5’’ height. At the time of its release, this satellite dish was the smallest and quickest model in the company’s history. Indeed, it takes up minimal roof space and now features improved tracking capability. In addition to all that, it produces a lot less noise than its predecessors.
- Fully automated design
- One button on/off operation
- You can watch LIVE programming from DISH, DIRECTV or BellTV
- Very efficient system. Noise reduction was one of the goals during the design process
- The satellite has improved tracking capabilities compared to previous models
- It is a very compact, small dish so it requires minimal storage space
- DIRECTV HD is not available for this model, only SD
When it comes to the size and features, the Winegard RT2000T RoadTrip T4 is a very impressive in-motion dish. The company has made huge strides since their previous models, pulling out all the stops with this one. It is small, yet capable, easy to install, and you can reach a large number and wide varietyof channels.
A portable antenna, the VuQube VQ3000 offers premier versatility. Advertised as the company’s best adaptable dish, it is operational during the drive, and, although it is not fully automated, it offers one-touch auto-tuning as well as satellite switching. The multi-functionality is the main selling point of the device. You can dismount and install it again fairly quickly if necessary. This is convenient when you spend the night at a motel or campsite, and you want to watch television.
- Compact design with its 19” x 19” x 20” dimensions
- Very easy to set up
- Operational on the move
- Convenient one-touch operation
- Depending on where you buy it, the bracket is not always included
The VuQube VQ3000 In-Motion Portable Satellite Antenna is clearly one of the company’s best designs to date. You couldn’t ask much more from a portable antenna. It is not too large, you can set it up on your RV and dismount it pretty effortlessly during the trip. It is not an automated antenna, but the one-touch button and the satellite switching-ability make it easy to operate.
The King VQ4500 is very nice compact portable antenna with one downside, it only works with the DISH service. The company mostly promotes it for tailgating – hence the name -, and for that purpose it is an excellent choice. You can put in on the floor or set it up on top of the RV, where it will work just as well. You can even add the dish to your home network or use it exclusively in a pay-as-you-go package while traveling around. Whichever option you choose, you will be able to enjoy both standard and high definition. The product includes a 50’ coax cable, guaranteeing that you will be able to reach your television from virtually anywhere.
- Excellent for tailgating. You can set it up for multiple televisions
- Comes with multiple accessories, including the quick-release mount roof kit and the tripod mount
- Great portability for a mobile experience, no matter where you are
- Comes with a very long cable, making setup easier
- The antenna was exclusively designed for Dish
- You can’t always get a signal in the forest
The KING VQ4500 Tailgater Portable was designed for tailgaters, people who enjoy sports and watching their favorite teams on TV. It is a portable model which you can set up – or dismount – very easily, especially if you simply put it on the tripod that comes as part of the package. Alternatively, you can put it anywhere outside pointing to the satellites, and you are good to go.
In an age where high-definition programming is available on the go across virtually all mobile devices, it’s no wonder that the same applies to your RV. You can set up multiple television sets with hundreds of channels, so we hope this guide helps you choose the best in motion satellite dish for RVs. Portable, with or without a tripod, fully or semi-automated, or maybe a model with manual control - the choices are plentiful. Some cable companies have exclusive deals with manufacturers, which means you will have to buy a specific model in order to enjoy certain content - but there’s always a way.
- Fully automatic roof mounted antenna with one button on/off operation
- Watch live programming while traveling down the road
- Quiet system with improved tracking, updated design reduces noise and improves tracking
- Fast, reliable tracking at up to 30° per second
- Stationary mode for silent operation when parked
- Watch live DISH HD channels on-the-go
- Portable Satellite Antenna - Perfect for the RV, camper, motorhome, cabin, fishing, hunting or become the ultimate tailgater with the DISH Playmaker.
- Easy Setup Portable Antenna - Powered by single coax connection through DISH receiver. Easy to use and lightweight RV portable satellite dish.
- Fully-Automatic Dish - Automatically finds DISH HD satellite orbital locations making it easy to watch your favorite TV shows in the RV.
Last update on 2019-11-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API