Before setting out on a road trip, it’s important to ensure that your RV’s tires are properly inflated.
If the tires happen to be under-inflated, you cannot wait until you’re at the gas station to restore pressure.
A buildup of excess heat as you drive can cause tire failure. Besides, too little air pressure can negatively impact the tires’ durability and may also affect your RV’s braking and handling systems. Over-inflated tires, on the other hand, can easily sink into loose sand, mud or trail dirt. It’s for these reasons that we review the best portable air compressor for RV tires.
Our Picks: Best Portable Air Compressor for RV Tires
|Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit|
Scroll down to see our individual review of each product
What you need to know?
The quality of an air compressor boils down to its ratings. The first of these is the Cubic Feet per Minute value (CFM). It measures the speed at which air is delivered to the compressor tool. The higher the CFM rating, the more powerful the compressor. The other important rating is the Pounds per Square Inch (PSI). This gives the force at which air is delivered by the compressor. For RVs, a PSI of 40-90 can get the job done. Lastly, we have Horsepower (HP), which measures the work capacity of the mortar that drives the compressor pump. A higher horsepower translates to a higher CFM.
What to look for in portable compressors?
In addition to ratings, weight should be a major factor to consider before making a purchase. A portable compressor should be light enough to be carried around by hand. Let’s face it! You surely wouldn’t fancy dragging around a 100-pound device even if it has wheels. A compressor weighing 40 pounds or less would be ideal. Besides, lighter units are smaller and easier to store.
Does the tank size matter?
The tank size determines the maximum volume of air the compressor can hold, usually measured in gallons. Although a large tank is desirable, perhaps a smaller unit is preferable for use on RV and motor homes to facilitate transport. However, it’s important to ensure that the compressor has a high PSI. Here’s why. A compressor with a small tank and a high PSI recharges continually, thereby giving prolonged operation time.
1. Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit - Best RV Tire Inflator
The Viair 40047 portable compressor kit is one of the fastest devices of its kind. It operates on 12 volts and can inflate 35-inch tires to 30PSI in a matter of seconds. It is equipped with alligator clamps that are connected directly to the car battery for instant pumping. Once switched on, the compressor can work continuously for 40 minutes without getting too hot. It automatically shuts off immediately as soon as it reaches the preset pressure level.
- Superior quality
- Simple to operate
- Super powerful
- Great value for money
- Less affordable than similar options
If you’re looking for a fast, high-energy compressor fitted with just about every off-road accessory, this model fits the bill. Although you might have to spend a bit more when compared to the other options on this list, you can be sure of getting the most out of every buck. It’s a strong contender for inclusion in your camping or recreational plans.
The AUDEW digital tire inflator features one-touch refilling technology. All you have to do is set the desired pressure level and press the ‘on’ button. The compressor automatically and rapidly inflates the tire while you watch. For safety and efficiency, the model is designed to shut off automatically when the desired pressure level is reached. It also comes with a 3m power cord to facilitate both front and rear tire inflation.
- A compact design with minimal storage space needs
- 3 different tips to accommodate the most common tire pressure designs
- Cigarette socket for direct insertion
- Easy setup
- High-speed cooling
- A single fully deflated tire may take up to 3 minutes to refill
This model is a great option for night travel since it features bright, long-lasting LED lights. 3 different tips make it a versatile pick that can also be used for motorbikes and SUVs. It weighs less than one pound, making it one of the lightest and most portable gadgets of its kind. It is also the least expensive compressor on this list, making it a popular choice for campers on a tight budget.
If you’d rather have a more versatile device featuring additional nozzles, the Tire Trek inflator pump might be the ideal pick. It delivers about 40 liters of air per minute, enough to refill the average RV tire in less than 3 minutes. An 11.5 ft cord brings some much-needed convenience reducing mobility when refilling multiple tires. It’s also equipped with two USB charging sockets.
- Simple to operate
- Great price
- Fitted with LED lights for night operations
- 4 free nozzles
- You might need some time to master connecting the hose extension to the tire valve
- After refill, you may have to disconnect the device manually
Most compressors are quite noisy, which can be a problem if you are refilling in the presence of children, family or workmates. This model reduces unwanted noise and significantly minimizes vibrations. Besides reducing inflation time to less than three minutes, its high-quality accessories guarantee prolonged use, making it good value for money.
If you’re in the market for the best portable air compressor for RV tires, it might be safe to say that there’s no model that meets the needs of everyone all the time. The most important factors to consider include weight, tank size, and PSI. Cost may be a factor too, but it should not override other considerations. At the end of the journey, what matters most is your safety and that of your RV or motorhome.
In our opinion the top pick from our list is the ViAir 40047 400P-RV.
Read Also: How often should you replace RV Tires?
- ✔【Adjustable Input Voltage】 Input voltage Support AC 110V-120V / 220V-240V , Output Range (12V 1A-5A, 12W-60W ) or (12V 10A-50A 120W-600W) ,voltage input will adjust automatically to SMPS Model ,Output current Mainly depends on your decive, such as 10A 120W, 20A 240W, 30A 360W, Max current up to 50A,Power 600W.
- ✔【Upgrade Appearance Patent Design】This Switch Transformer build with Aluminum alloy shell ,Built-in wire integrated design, Dual power connection methods, Very convenient for 12V devices with clamps, all copper nickel-plated terminal material, which has good electrical conductivity and high conversion efficiency , corrosion resistance ; More safe and stable.
- ✔【Smart Cooling System】Item Shell are designed with Many heat dissipation holes, Built-in Cooling fan and dust-proof net, which effectively prevent dust from entering, ensure the stable rotation of the electric fan and prevent the circuit board from burning ; moreover, Anti-skid pads are added to the bottom, which can also make the bottom better heat dissipation and work more stable, Converter Working Temperature Range : 14℉-140℉。
- Dual input voltage: AC 110V-120V / 220V-240V.Wide voltage input adjusted automatically to SMPS Model (12V 1A-5A, 12W-60W). As for Model (12V 10A-66.7A 120W-800W), there is a voltage selector switch located on one side of the switcher that is used to set the input voltage to the power supply to either 110V/120V or 220V/230V. Output current depends on the device, such as 10A 120W, 20A 240W, 30A 360W, and the max current is 66.7A, power 800W.
- How to choose: The peak power is 66.7A,800W. It does not mean it can fit rate power 800W. For motor devices, the start current will be much higher than the rated power. If use resistive equipment, such as led strips, you can use higher power, such as 800W rated LEDs will also be OK. Dial to the correct gear position cut off the power before disassembling the connection.
- 3.Safe and Stable, Long Service Life: Switching power supply has over/under voltage, over current, overheat protection, and fan heat dissipation protection functions. Light and Portable, Easy to Operate: Net weight only 1.6Kg. Perfect choice to power led strips, car stereos, CCTV cameras, and other 12V powered systems.
- 【Includ Clamps and Copper Wire】12V 50A 600W Power Supply converter with ul power cord ,wire lugs, metal clip and screw. Dial to the correct gear position, cut off the power before disassembling the connection.★【Copper Nickel-plated Terminal Material】Super convenient for devices with clamps. You can clamp to the two cylindrical contacts directly. which has good electrical conductivity and high conversion efficiency , corrosion resistance,aging resistant.
- 【Safety Features】Automatic overload cut-off, over Voltage cut-off, automatic thermal cut-off, short circuit protection.High Reliability, Low Temperature Rise,Built-in EMI filter, 100% Full load burn-in Tested.★【SMART COOLING SYSTEM】Item Shell are designed with Many heat dissipation holes, Built-in Cooling fan and dust-proof net, which effectively prevent dust from entering, ensure the stable rotation of the electric fan and prevent the circuit board from burning.
- 【One-Key Operate】With red button on/off switch function, more safe and convenient power start/stop operation, Switch Transformer build with Imported Aluminum alloy shell ,Built-in wire integrated design, Dual power connection methods.★【Easy to US】Portable Alligator Clips & sturdy Cable Lugs, Suitable for various usage scenarios. Transformer (PSU) convert AC to DC using SMPS mode.
- Waterproof Level upgrade:IP68,moisture-proof & anti-shock protection
- Sturdy and Safe materials:die-cast aluminum shell and high quality design, maximum transfer efficiency of 96%.
- More safer:built in smart chip, full protection against over/under voltage input, over-current, overload, overhead, over-temperature and short circuit
- DIRT CLEANER - Removes dried on dirt without impairing performance. Ideal to use before cleaning and waterproofing
- TOUGH BRISTLES - Sturdy synthetic bristles work hard to scrub away everything from large mud deposits to fine soiling
- BIRCHWOOD HANDLE - VERSATILE wooden handle brush is comfortable to hold and durable enough for use on the most stubborn dirt
- Best Portable Gas Grill for RV – 2023 Reviews & Top Picks - October 14, 2017
- Best Propane Stove Top for RV – 2023 Top Picks - September 27, 2017
- Best Rubber Roof Coating for RV – 2023 Reviews & Top Picks - September 15, 2017
Last update on 2022-12-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API