Before setting out on a road trip, it’s important to ensure that your RV’s tires are properly inflated.
If the tires happen to be under-inflated, you cannot wait until you’re at the gas station to restore pressure.
A buildup of excess heat as you drive can cause tire failure. Besides, too little air pressure can negatively impact the tires’ durability and may also affect your RV’s braking and handling systems. Over-inflated tires, on the other hand, can easily sink into loose sand, mud or trail dirt. It’s for these reasons that we review the best portable air compressor for RV tires.
Our Picks: Best Portable Air Compressor for RV Tires
|Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit|
Scroll down to see our individual review of each product
What you need to know?
The quality of an air compressor boils down to its ratings. The first of these is the Cubic Feet per Minute value (CFM). It measures the speed at which air is delivered to the compressor tool. The higher the CFM rating, the more powerful the compressor. The other important rating is the Pounds per Square Inch (PSI). This gives the force at which air is delivered by the compressor. For RVs, a PSI of 40-90 can get the job done. Lastly, we have Horsepower (HP), which measures the work capacity of the mortar that drives the compressor pump. A higher horsepower translates to a higher CFM.
What to look for in portable compressors?
In addition to ratings, weight should be a major factor to consider before making a purchase. A portable compressor should be light enough to be carried around by hand. Let’s face it! You surely wouldn’t fancy dragging around a 100-pound device even if it has wheels. A compressor weighing 40 pounds or less would be ideal. Besides, lighter units are smaller and easier to store.
Does the tank size matter?
The tank size determines the maximum volume of air the compressor can hold, usually measured in gallons. Although a large tank is desirable, perhaps a smaller unit is preferable for use on RV and motor homes to facilitate transport. However, it’s important to ensure that the compressor has a high PSI. Here’s why. A compressor with a small tank and a high PSI recharges continually, thereby giving prolonged operation time.
1. Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit - Best RV Tire Inflator
The Viair 40047 portable compressor kit is one of the fastest devices of its kind. It operates on 12 volts and can inflate 35-inch tires to 30PSI in a matter of seconds. It is equipped with alligator clamps that are connected directly to the car battery for instant pumping. Once switched on, the compressor can work continuously for 40 minutes without getting too hot. It automatically shuts off immediately as soon as it reaches the preset pressure level.
- Superior quality
- Simple to operate
- Super powerful
- Great value for money
- Less affordable than similar options
If you’re looking for a fast, high-energy compressor fitted with just about every off-road accessory, this model fits the bill. Although you might have to spend a bit more when compared to the other options on this list, you can be sure of getting the most out of every buck. It’s a strong contender for inclusion in your camping or recreational plans.
The AUDEW digital tire inflator features one-touch refilling technology. All you have to do is set the desired pressure level and press the ‘on’ button. The compressor automatically and rapidly inflates the tire while you watch. For safety and efficiency, the model is designed to shut off automatically when the desired pressure level is reached. It also comes with a 3m power cord to facilitate both front and rear tire inflation.
- A compact design with minimal storage space needs
- 3 different tips to accommodate the most common tire pressure designs
- Cigarette socket for direct insertion
- Easy setup
- High-speed cooling
- A single fully deflated tire may take up to 3 minutes to refill
This model is a great option for night travel since it features bright, long-lasting LED lights. 3 different tips make it a versatile pick that can also be used for motorbikes and SUVs. It weighs less than one pound, making it one of the lightest and most portable gadgets of its kind. It is also the least expensive compressor on this list, making it a popular choice for campers on a tight budget.
If you’d rather have a more versatile device featuring additional nozzles, the Tire Trek inflator pump might be the ideal pick. It delivers about 40 liters of air per minute, enough to refill the average RV tire in less than 3 minutes. An 11.5 ft cord brings some much-needed convenience reducing mobility when refilling multiple tires. It’s also equipped with two USB charging sockets.
- Simple to operate
- Great price
- Fitted with LED lights for night operations
- 4 free nozzles
- You might need some time to master connecting the hose extension to the tire valve
- After refill, you may have to disconnect the device manually
Most compressors are quite noisy, which can be a problem if you are refilling in the presence of children, family or workmates. This model reduces unwanted noise and significantly minimizes vibrations. Besides reducing inflation time to less than three minutes, its high-quality accessories guarantee prolonged use, making it good value for money.
If you’re in the market for the best portable air compressor for RV tires, it might be safe to say that there’s no model that meets the needs of everyone all the time. The most important factors to consider include weight, tank size, and PSI. Cost may be a factor too, but it should not override other considerations. At the end of the journey, what matters most is your safety and that of your RV or motorhome.
In our opinion the top pick from our list is the ViAir 40047 400P-RV.
Read Also: How often should you replace RV Tires?
- ULTRA QUIET - The Midea U Smart Inverter AC unit is 9 times quieter than traditional units. The U-shape design uses your window to blocks noise outside and the high efficiency Inverter system warrants ultra low noise and vibration. This design allows for extremely quiet operation as low as 42 dBA - almost as quiet as a library – so you can get a restful night’s sleep or binge your favorite shows undisturbed.
- MORE THAN 35% ENERGY SAVINGS - With the advanced DC Inverter technology, Midea U achieves over 35% energy savings compared to other traditional units, and it's the first window AC to obtain the ENERGY STAR Most Efficient 2022 Certification. You may also get exclusive benefits from your local energy distributor.
- FLEXIBLE WINDOW OPENING - Midea U-shaped design allows your window to open, bringing fresh air into your home anytime and allowing you to maintain more of your view even when the unit is installed. The Anti-Theft Mechanism locks the closed window for added security
- DIRT CLEANER - Removes dried on dirt without impairing performance. Ideal to use before cleaning and waterproofing
- TOUGH BRISTLES - Sturdy synthetic bristles work hard to scrub away everything from large mud deposits to fine soiling
- BIRCHWOOD HANDLE - VERSATILE wooden handle brush is comfortable to hold and durable enough for use on the most stubborn dirt
- QUIET & POWERFUL - Our 5,950 BTU DOE (12,000 BTU ASHRAE) compact air conditioner (17.1 x 13.8 x 28.1 in,) will keep you cool and comfortable all summer. An adjustable fan speed cools the air to 65°F at the coolest setting. Sleep mode makes it extra quiet while you rest, Auto Water Evaporation
- PERFECT FOR SMALL ROOMS - This floor-standing portable AC unit provides steady, fast, effective cooling for rooms up to 300 sq. ft. It’s the ideal small air conditioner for dorms, apartments, cabins, campers, offices, bedrooms, or living rooms
- SIMPLE & QUICK TO INSTALL – Just wheel this portable air conditioner into any room with a double hung or sliding window. Attach the included hose (4’ 11”) & window adapter, & plug it in to an outlet! At the end of the season, just unhook & store
- FAST INFLATION & ADVANCED ACCURACY: High-quality materials were sourced for this tire inflator as it can pump up your car's tires with 35 L/Min, it can inflate the 195/55/R15 car tire from 0 to 35psi under 5 minutes. Professionally calibrated to always return a reading within 1.5% of the pressure of your tire. Please NOTE that after 10-15 minutes of continuous use, let the air compressor rest and cool for an equal amount of time at a minimum before continuing use
- PROGRAMMABLE INFLATION: Use the "M" button to set your desired pressure unit, and then press the "+" and "-" buttons to set the desired pressure. The air compressor will automatically shut off when it reaches the pre-set pressure (Please make sure the pressure you set is higher than the current pressure of your tire).
- PRODUCT HIGHLIGHTS: One-click to change pressure units among PSI, kPa, BAR and KG/CM; Large white backlight LCD screen makes it easy to read even in the dark; Equipped with integrated LED flashlight with independent switch control for emergency use; 12V 120W 10ft (3.05 meters) long heavy-duty car cigarette lighter cord makes it convenient to use;NOT 110V AC plug. It needs a 10A or 15A converter to use in a wall plug.
- The ultimate protection and support for your sewer hose: The 20 feet Sidewinder RV Sewer Hose Support by Camco lifts and cradles your sewer hose while in connection from your RV to the dump station. It keeps your sewer hose off the ground and prevents potential damage or punctures to your RV or camper sewer hose by safely nesting it in heavy duty plastic
- Hassle free preparation and setup: Conveniently ready to use straight of the box with no assembly required. Comes complete with winding sidewinder RV sewer hose support, and orange custom fit storage handle that clasps on to your compressed Sidewinder for simple toting and handling
- Lightweight yet durable and sturdy frame: This all plastic design, creates a lightweight and weatherproof product made to last long. It is constructed with a rust and corrosion resistant plastic material that is durable enough to carry your hose over the roughest terrains
- Best Portable Gas Grill for RV – 2020 Reviews & Top Picks - October 14, 2017
- Best Propane Stove Top for RV – 2020 Top Picks - September 27, 2017
- Best Rubber Roof Coating for RV – 2020 Reviews & Top Picks - September 15, 2017
Last update on 2022-05-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API