Before setting out on a road trip, it’s important to ensure that your RV’s tires are properly inflated.
If the tires happen to be under-inflated, you cannot wait until you’re at the gas station to restore pressure.
A buildup of excess heat as you drive can cause tire failure. Besides, too little air pressure can negatively impact the tires’ durability and may also affect your RV’s braking and handling systems. Over-inflated tires, on the other hand, can easily sink into loose sand, mud or trail dirt. It’s for these reasons that we review the best portable air compressor for RV tires.
Our Picks: Best Portable Air Compressor for RV Tires
|Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit|
Scroll down to see our individual review of each product
What you need to know?
The quality of an air compressor boils down to its ratings. The first of these is the Cubic Feet per Minute value (CFM). It measures the speed at which air is delivered to the compressor tool. The higher the CFM rating, the more powerful the compressor. The other important rating is the Pounds per Square Inch (PSI). This gives the force at which air is delivered by the compressor. For RVs, a PSI of 40-90 can get the job done. Lastly, we have Horsepower (HP), which measures the work capacity of the mortar that drives the compressor pump. A higher horsepower translates to a higher CFM.
What to look for in portable compressors?
In addition to ratings, weight should be a major factor to consider before making a purchase. A portable compressor should be light enough to be carried around by hand. Let’s face it! You surely wouldn’t fancy dragging around a 100-pound device even if it has wheels. A compressor weighing 40 pounds or less would be ideal. Besides, lighter units are smaller and easier to store.
Does the tank size matter?
The tank size determines the maximum volume of air the compressor can hold, usually measured in gallons. Although a large tank is desirable, perhaps a smaller unit is preferable for use on RV and motor homes to facilitate transport. However, it’s important to ensure that the compressor has a high PSI. Here’s why. A compressor with a small tank and a high PSI recharges continually, thereby giving prolonged operation time.
1. Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit - Best RV Tire Inflator
The Viair 40047 portable compressor kit is one of the fastest devices of its kind. It operates on 12 volts and can inflate 35-inch tires to 30PSI in a matter of seconds. It is equipped with alligator clamps that are connected directly to the car battery for instant pumping. Once switched on, the compressor can work continuously for 40 minutes without getting too hot. It automatically shuts off immediately as soon as it reaches the preset pressure level.
- Superior quality
- Simple to operate
- Super powerful
- Great value for money
- Less affordable than similar options
If you’re looking for a fast, high-energy compressor fitted with just about every off-road accessory, this model fits the bill. Although you might have to spend a bit more when compared to the other options on this list, you can be sure of getting the most out of every buck. It’s a strong contender for inclusion in your camping or recreational plans.
The AUDEW digital tire inflator features one-touch refilling technology. All you have to do is set the desired pressure level and press the ‘on’ button. The compressor automatically and rapidly inflates the tire while you watch. For safety and efficiency, the model is designed to shut off automatically when the desired pressure level is reached. It also comes with a 3m power cord to facilitate both front and rear tire inflation.
- A compact design with minimal storage space needs
- 3 different tips to accommodate the most common tire pressure designs
- Cigarette socket for direct insertion
- Easy setup
- High-speed cooling
- A single fully deflated tire may take up to 3 minutes to refill
This model is a great option for night travel since it features bright, long-lasting LED lights. 3 different tips make it a versatile pick that can also be used for motorbikes and SUVs. It weighs less than one pound, making it one of the lightest and most portable gadgets of its kind. It is also the least expensive compressor on this list, making it a popular choice for campers on a tight budget.
If you’d rather have a more versatile device featuring additional nozzles, the Tire Trek inflator pump might be the ideal pick. It delivers about 40 liters of air per minute, enough to refill the average RV tire in less than 3 minutes. An 11.5 ft cord brings some much-needed convenience reducing mobility when refilling multiple tires. It’s also equipped with two USB charging sockets.
- Simple to operate
- Great price
- Fitted with LED lights for night operations
- 4 free nozzles
- You might need some time to master connecting the hose extension to the tire valve
- After refill, you may have to disconnect the device manually
Most compressors are quite noisy, which can be a problem if you are refilling in the presence of children, family or workmates. This model reduces unwanted noise and significantly minimizes vibrations. Besides reducing inflation time to less than three minutes, its high-quality accessories guarantee prolonged use, making it good value for money.
If you’re in the market for the best portable air compressor for RV tires, it might be safe to say that there’s no model that meets the needs of everyone all the time. The most important factors to consider include weight, tank size, and PSI. Cost may be a factor too, but it should not override other considerations. At the end of the journey, what matters most is your safety and that of your RV or motorhome.
In our opinion the top pick from our list is the ViAir 40047 400P-RV.
- 12 VOLT - 150PSI Max Working Pressure, engine must be running during use.
- 2.3CFM Free Flow @ 0 PSI, Power Cord: 8' Air Hose: 60' 12-Volt
- Powered direct to the car battery with alligator clamps, Duty Cycle: 33 percent @ 100 PSI Max. Working Pressure: 150 PSI Max. Amp Draw: 30 Amps Tire Inflation Gun with 130 PSI Inline Gauge
- 12 VOLT - 150PSI Max Working Pressure, engine must be running during use
- 1.80CFM Free Flow at 0 PSI
- Powered direct to the RV or car 12v battery with alligator clamps
- 12 VOLT Operated - 150PSI Max Working Pressure, engine must be running during use.
- 2.3CFM Free Flow @ 0 PSI. The air hose length is 25 feet
- 150 PSI maximum working pressure and 33% duty cycle
- 【AUTO SHUTOFF】 - Simply set your desired pressure with AUDEW air compressor pump then press the "on" button, tire inflator will automatically shut off when the proper tire pressure is reached.
- 【DIGITAL LED DISPLAY】 - AUDEW tire compressor pump with backlight digital display, certified accurate & calibrated to ANSI B40.1 International Accuracy Standards (±2%), ensuring precise tire pressure readings.
- 【LED LIGHTS】 - AUDEW digital tire inflator is equipped with bright and long-lasting LED lights, easy to use even in the dark, so you can see clearly while you're reinflating your tire at night or making quick repairs on a dark lonely country road.
- 12 VOLT - 60PSI Max Working Pressure, engine must be running during use.
- 1.26CFM Free Flow @ 0 PSI
- Portable air compressor powered by auxilliary power outlet. (The 85P can only be used if your outlet is rated to 15 AMPS/180 Watts or more)
Last update on 2018-11-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API